The United Methodist Church of Swartz Creek
Building Use Policy
The United Methodist Church of Swartz Creek’s (UMCSC) facilities have been provided by God through people’s tithes and offerings. The church desires that its facilities be used for bringing glory to God and connecting people to Jesus Christ through worship, discipleship and service. We make our facilities available as a witness to our faith, in a spirit of Christian charity, and as a means of demonstrating the gospel of Jesus Christ to our community. However, facility use will not be permitted to persons or groups holding, advancing, or advocating beliefs or practices that conflict with the church’s faith or moral teachings. Nor may church facilities be used for activities that contradict, or are deemed inconsistent with, the church’s faith or moral teachings.
Groups utilizing UMCSC property will be classified into the following categories:
- Group A: Groups established by the church, such as, committees/ministries of the church. Groups in this category do not need to fill out a Building Use Form, but do need to schedule with the Church Business Administrator (CBA) to place the event on the calendar in order to reserve the room.
- Group B: Groups adopted by the church, which are recognized as church sponsored and promote church outreach, such as, preschool programs, The American Red Cross, or district and conference events. Groups in this category do not need to fill out a Building Use Form, but do need to schedule with the Church Business Administrator (CBA) to place the event on the calendar in order to reserve the room.
- GROUP C: Outside groups with no recognized affiliation with UMCSC, such as, civic groups, schools, athletic associations, and other churches. Generally these groups should be nonprofit organizations whose purpose and activities contribute to the welfare of the community at large. Groups in this category must fill out a Building Use Form and submit it to the CBA for approval. Groups in the category are required to have a custodian present at their expense.
- GROUP D: Personal parties/meetings. Groups in this category must fill out a Building Use Form and submit it to the CBA for approval. Groups in the category are required to have a custodian present at their expense.
*The CBA will present Trustees and/or Church Council about any exceptions to this policy.
Completed Building Use Forms must be submitted to the CBA at least two (2) weeks prior to the scheduled event, with the required deposit. Groups may also be required to provide a Certificate of Liability Insurance.
Priority will be given to church related groups. In rare instances, the unforeseen needs of the church that requires use of the church facilities, such as weddings, funerals, etc, may take precedence over previously
scheduled events. In such a case it may be necessary to reschedule the event or restrict use of the facility and/or parking areas. The church will make every effort to avoid such conflicts.
- None of the facilities may be used by for-profit groups, or for the purpose of making a profit for the group, or the private benefit of any of the group’s members.
- All groups with minors must provide adequate adult supervision. Adult supervisors are responsible for maintaining discipline and order at all times.
- With the exception to service animals and ministries involving service animals, no pets or animals are allowed inside church buildings. Outside, animals must be kept on a leash.
- Only painters tape or command strips are to be used to adhere things to the walls/floor.
- All groups must use the church’s sound technician (at their expense) if they wish to use the church’s audio equipment.
- There is a time limit set for each event, if the time is exceeded, the group will be charged a fee for each additional half hour.
- Events should not be scheduled past 9:00 p.m. to allow sufficient time for vacating and closing down the building by 10:00 p.m. Tables, chairs and equipment shall be returned to their original arrangement and cleaned if necessary. Windows shall be closed, doors locked, and lights turned off when leaving. Trash must be disposed of in the outside dumpster.
- If there is any damage to the church property resulting from a group’s use, the group will be responsible for the cost of repair/replacement.
- The use of candles or open flames is not permitted.
- Firearms and weapons of any kind are forbidden on church property.
- Use of alcohol or illicit drugs is expressly forbidden on church property.
- Tabaco use/vaping is not permitted inside the church building. Tabaco use/vaping is allowed only outdoors at the rear of the building at the covered fire pit.
- Kitchen facilities can not be used without reserving them in advance.
- Equipment/furniture will not be added or removed from rooms unless approval has been given.